In this week’s Wednesday Wedding post, I’m excited to talk all about my wedding hair! I received many sweet comments about my hair so I wanted to dedicate an entire blog post to talk about how I chose this hairstyle for my wedding and tips for getting your hair healthy for your big day!
When I was coming up with a wedding hairstyle, I wanted something completely different. My wedding dress is backless so I wanted to show the open back with a partial up-do. I’m very picky with hairstyles since most of the time I only like my hair down lol so I knew I wanted a style with a lot of volume and hair in front of my face. I got a lot of inspiration from Pinterest and I loved the idea of a whimsical braid with lots of curls. I loved that it still had a “down style feel” to it since it was thick at the bottom but it was pinned together like a braid.
My hair stylist was Kristen Okaly and she is AMAZING! She is so talented and I am so happy with how my hair came out! I absolutely loved it! If you are in the NJ/NY/PA area – definitely check her out!
For all the brides out there, I highly recommend you do a hair trial. When I did my first hair trial, I asked Kristen to do two different styles. I wanted to see both the braid and my hair down with curls. In the beginning, I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted a partial up-do so I wanted to see how both styles looked. My mom came with me and she took lots of photos from different angles so I could really look at it in detail to make sure I liked it.
I ended up falling in love with the braid and then when I ordered my headpiece (you can find it on Etsy here!) – I did another hair trial with it on to make sure it fit and we even made a few changes to the hairstyle. (A note on the headpiece – I had 20 inch extensions and I ordered the 35 inch + 18 inch piece. I wanted it to fit on top of my head like a headband and be intertwined with the rest of my hair).
Even though I wore extensions for volume and length, I still wanted my hair as healthy as possible. Here are a few healthy hair tips I recommend:
- Use a clean shampoo and conditioner that don’t have parabens and sulfates. The clean brand I’ve been loving is Dae.
- Try to wash your hair only 1-2 times a week. Washing your hair everyday can strip your hair of its natural oils. I love using this dry shampoo in between washes.
- Let your hair dry naturally and try to use as little heat as possible. When I did use my curling wand, I always used a heat protectant spray.
- Sleep with a silk pillowcase and use a micro fiber towel. This reduces frizz and prevents damage to your hair.
- Eat healthy and take hair vitamins. Biotin is the best known vitamin for hair growth. I’ve been taking this one. I’ve also been taking collagen protein in my smoothies and eating lots of leafy greens and vegetables.
I hope you enjoyed my wedding hair post! You can check out more details of me getting ready on my wedding day here.